dinsdag 16 september 2014

Truck accepted by Dutch DMV!



Today was a big, big day for the project. Not much was really done, actually, but what was done opens up the road to a successful project. While dismantling the truck, I contacted the Dutch DMV about the vehicle’s ID. They advised me to come in with the truck, to have it’s ID established before taking it apart further. So today, I did. Although I have the title and the tag plate on the truck, I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. What if they did not accept this as proper ID? Had I bought a piece of old iron never to be on the roads here? Yesterday I rented a trailer, and in the evening loaded up the truck and put it in the workshop at my work, so I could leave early this morning.


This morning I set out at seven o’clock, and I was well on time at the RDW (Dutch DMV) in Nieuwegein. There I waited in line to ‘check in’ for my appointment.



I booked an inspection with VIN number inscription, but this could not be done. It turns out you only get the VIN inscribed to the chassis when you present a complete and road worthy vehicle. Also, the DMV inspector ruled the presented VIN certificate and tag plate probably did not belong to this truck. I was scared at that point, as you can imagine. Did I buy a lot of old iron? Then the inspector came with the good news! He was able to make the motor number readable again, and the car could be identified by this number.

 
The car got ‘tagged’ and all tags were photographed (not only by me…) and registered in the DMV database.

One on the engine, small hole drilled in the casting:



One through the bulkhead:


One through the chassis:


Now I can take everything apart further, and restore, rebuild, re-what-ever-I-like. I should take care not to remove the tags, of course, but they are sturdy and made to be on vehicles in need of restoration. Once the truck is roadworthy again, I can go to the RDW for an inspection. If the truck is as it should be, and all tags are retrieved undamaged, I can get a full registration on the car, Dutch VIN, licence plates, the lot. The inspector told me today was the biggest hurdle in the whole registration process, with this done it should be plain sailing (and a lot of work) from now on. Yeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! I am happy!!!!!!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten